Policies

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Audiobook Review: A Reason to Live: A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1

A Reason to Live 
(A Mary Singer Mystery, Book 1)
Author: Matthew Iden
Narrator: Lloyd Sherr
Unabridged, Length 8 hrs, 10 min
Publisher: Matthew Iden  8/14/13

Publisher's Summary:
 In the late 90s, a bad cop killed a good woman and DC Homicide Detective Marty Singer got to watch as the murderer walked out of the courtroom a free man. Twelve years later, the victim's daughter comes to Marty begging for help: the killer is stalking her now. There's just one problem: Marty's retired...and he's retired because he's battling cancer. But with a second shot at the killer - and a first chance at redemption - Marty's just found…a reason to live.

©2012 Matthew Iden (P)2013 Matthew Iden

My Thoughts:
When I plugged in my earbuds and the oddly familiar voice filled my ears I knew that I would enjoy this audiobook even if the story was ho-hum.  But I was totally hooked by the time I head the voice say, "....as my day dragged itself across the floor of my life."  The writing is crisp and vivid and the characters wonderfully developed.  I laughed out loud at Marty's description of the paper gown he had to wear in the doctor's office.  I felt a sinking in the pit of my stomach when the symptoms of cancer appeared and he got the diagnosis.  Scary feeling, even second hand.

I love Marty Singer.  He is a hero who agrees to help a scared young woman even when his own life is uncertain due to his battle with cancer.  Amanda's mother was murdered twelve years ago and Singer was one of the investigating officers.  She kept his card all these years and has asked him for help.  It seems the murderer (who got away with it) is back and stalking her.  The mystery and plot twists kept me captivated and entertained all the way to the end. 

This was my first audiobook experience with Lloyd Sherr as narrator.  When I looked him up, I saw why his voice seemed so familiar.  He's a voice over artist that I've heard many times and he's the perfect choice for Marty Singer.  His voice pinned me in the moment, left me feeling the emotions of a man worried about his own life, but also a hero who forgets himself long enough to help someone else.  A Reason to Live is already a five star novel in print but I don't think I would be able to imagine Marty as perfectly as Sherr performed it.  I have always been an avid reader but the added dimension of a voice such as Sherr's adds a wonderful intimacy.   A Reason to Live is a winning combination of mighty fine writing and excellent narration. It's the first in the series and I can't wait to hear more.   I highly recommend A Reason to Live to anyone who loves a good mystery.   You would enjoy it in print but the audiobook is outstanding.   I give it five stars for story, production and narration.

Review copy provided by Matthew Iden, author and publisher.

A Reason to Live is available at Audible.com and iTunes
Kindle and print versions at Amazon.com





 


No comments:

Post a Comment