Policies

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Audiobook Review: Harmless

Harmless
Author: Ernie Lindsey
Narrator: DJ Holte
Unabridged, 
Length: 10 hrs, 34 min
Publisher: Ernie Lindsey 11/11/13

Publishers Summary:
From the USA TODAY and Amazon best-selling author of Sara's Game,..this is Harmless, an unconventional love story, a murder mystery, and a laugh out loud, hilarious work of fiction. 

There's someone for everyone...even Steve. Steve Pendragon is an eccentric (and sometimes delusional) used car salesman in love with Kerry, the quiet, secretive girl next door - only she doesn't know it. When the would-be love of his life turns up dead, all signs point to Steve.   Once the detectives hit a dead end in their investigation and he becomes the prime suspect, Steve is left with only a reluctant police officer and a crooked private investigator to help him prove his innocence. Could a kindhearted homeless woman and a cryptic note in Kerry's diary provide the key to the mystery?
©2013 Ernie Lindsey (P)2013 Ernie Lindsey 

My Thoughts:
I totally enjoyed Harmless! Actually enjoyed doesn't really express how I experienced it.  I couldn't put it down.  My plans to go out shopping or visit a relative flew out the window as soon as I started listening.  I took the whole day and listened from beginning to end. I love mysteries that include humor.  This book has all the required elements of that kind of mystery - laugh out loud moments, plot twists and surprises, and an unconventional love story.   Steve Pendragon appears at first to be a clueless, self-centered man.  The people he chooses to be his friends find him acutely annoying.  He can't seem to get to the point of a story without going off the subject.   I found him fascinating.  I liked the way he observed the world and how he found character attributes in other people that he identified with.  He is a bit psychic and describes himself as "operating on a higher plane."  He is obsessed with the post office and mail delivery.   

What I liked most about Harmless was the performance of the narrator, DJ Holte.  It was as if I had Steve following me around telling me his story and not minding when I laughed at him.  That's an experience I would never get from the print version.  From the first word of the audio sample, I knew this was a voice I would enjoy.  I'm adding DJ Holte to my list of favorite narrators and hope to hear more of his work.   

Author Ernie Lindsey has crafted a story that is funny and entertaining with a main character you will grow to love.  I highly recommend the audio version of Harmless and give it 5 stars all around.  

Review copy was provided by DJ Holte.  Listen to a sample here

No comments:

Post a Comment