Policies

Sunday, May 27, 2012

I just finished listening to Dear John.  While I wished it had a happier ending, what could I expect from the title?  It was a bittersweet ending and one I could see coming but enjoyed the story anyway.  Nicholas Sparks really knows how to write a love story.

The title brought back memories.  I could remember the radio hung on the wall when I was a child.  My Daddy loved music and the radio would play into the night while we were falling off to sleep.  Dear John sang by Ferlin Husky and Jean Shepard was one of my favorites. 

The story brought back memories too.  Like Savannah, I survived a time when the man I loved was away in Vietnam and Okinawa.   As I heard John and Savannah's story, feelings came flooding back and I wish so much that I had kept those letters.  I can't remember why I didn't. He didn't keep mine either. 

Now I really want to see the movie.  I am getting so behind on movies I want to see because I heard the book first.  I guess I'll have to sign up for Netflix DVDs so I can catch up.

I enjoyed reading this interview of Nicholas Sparks

I wanted something different for my next listen so I chose the first in the Maisie Dobbs series. The story takes place in London.  I love anything British so I'm looking forward to this one.

1 comment:

  1. After I saw the movie Dear John, I vowed to never see another Nicholas Sparks movie if I have read the book. I was very disappointed in the movie's ending. Giving it a happy ending ruined the story. I like Nicholas Sparks work but from now on will either see the movie OR read the book.

    ReplyDelete